Click Here to Sign up online!
The Constitution of the International Ballistics Society (IBS) defines several classes of individual membership that are described on this page. There are two membership categories available for new members. They are:
- Regular Member
- Regular membership is open to those individuals eligible for membership as defined by the Board of Directors.
- Student Member
- Student membership is open to full-time students in colleges, universities, and technical schools as defined by the Board of Directors.
Each term, members are entitled to download up to 5 individual papers from previous International Symposia on Ballistics (ISB) free of charge. In addition, the Constitution of the IBS authorizes the Board of Dirctors to recognize individuals via the following membership categories.
- Senior Member
- Senior Members have at least eight years of membership in the society. It is the responsibility of the member to maintain evidence of continuous membership. The Board of Directors may establish alternative criteria to define qualifications for Senior Membership, particularly during the founding years of the Society.
- Fellow Member
- Fellow Membership is conferred at the discretion of the Board of Directors on those individuals who have rendered meritorious service to the Society or to the science of ballistics. Fellow members have all privileges and responsibilities of a regular member. Honorary membership status is retained for the life of the individual selected. The Board of Directors may establish further benefits for Fellow Members.
- Ballistics Science Fellow
- The Ballistic Science Fellow is awarded to those individuals who have distinguished themselves within the ballistics community. This award is typically given to individuals for numerous contributions to the science of ballistics, but may also be given for an outstanding contribution. A minimum of six members of the society must provide nomination endorsements. The Board of Directors shall make the Final Determination.
Term of Membership
A normal membership term is the time between two symposia, which is approximately 18 months. In addition, lifetime memberships are available.
Student Members- $15 per term
Regular, Senior, Fellow Members - $50 per term
Regular, Senior, Fellow Lifetime Membership (< 50 years of age) - $500
Regular, Senior, Fellow Lifetime Membership (> 50 years of age) - $300
Contact the Membership Committee for more information or sign up online.
Corporate membership is open to all corporations, firms, foundations, institutions, associations, universities, organizations, and components thereof (herein after referred to as "corporations") approved by the Board of Directors. Corporate Members shall have the right to nominate employees to regular individual membership in the Society, the total number of such memberships to be related to the membership dues of the corporate member. Such nominees, known as delegates, shall not be required to pay individual membership dues. Procedures for recognizing corporate members shall be established by the Board of Directors.
Sponsorship terms run approximately 18 months and span the period between two symposia. All corporate sponsors are entitled to two or more delegates at no additional costs. Sponsors are also entitled to place ads in newsletters and other IBS documents as appropriate. The size of ad depends on the sponsorship level. It is based on a 4:2:1 ratio. So, a platinum sponsor gets and ad that is 4 times as large as a silver sponsor. For large documents, a platinum sponsor may be given a full page and a silver sponsor would receive 1/4 page. If the platinum sponsor gets 1/2 page, the silver sponsor will have 1/8 page.
Platinum Sponsorhip - Cost is $1000 per term. Platinum sponsors receive a banner ad on the society web pages. They also have a write-up on the web site and can insert advertisements into society newsletters at no additional costs. They can designate four indivduals as delegates at no additional cost. Up to 20 individual papers from previous ISB may be downloaded each term free of charge.
Gold Sponsorhip - Cost is $500 per term. Gold sponsors have a write-up on the web site and can insert advertisements into society newsletters at no additional costs. They can designate three indivduals as delegates at no additional cost. Up to 10 individual papers from previous ISB may be downloaded each term free of charge.
Silver Sponsorship - Cost is $250 per term. Silver sponsors also have a write-up on the web site and can insert advertisements into society newsletters at no additional costs. They can designate two individuals as delegates at no additional cost. Up to 5 individual papers from previous ISB may be downloaded each term free of charge.
University Membership - Universities have free membership of the IBS provided at least one Professor/Doctor attends an ISB each term and at least one student from that university presents a paper at the same ISB. Benefits include downloading up to 20 individual papers free of charge each term, designating up to four students as delegates and receiving one printed and one electrionic proceedings from two previous ISB upon joining. Please contact the Membership Committee Chair for further information and eligibility at email@example.com.
Contact the Membership Committee for more information on membership. You can also sign up online.
FOUNDING MEMBER STATUS
Note that during calendar year 2010, any individual member who paid dues, either for a single term or for lifetime membership, is identified as a Founding Member of the Society and received a certificate indicating that they are a founding member. Obtaining the monies necessary to establish this web site and to begin making electronic versions of the proceedings available was only accomplished by collecting individual dues and corporate sponsorships. The Board of Directors determined that this status will always be associated with those individuals and companies that have helped us form the society.
During the 25th International Symposium on Ballistics, Jack Riegel, then President of the IBS, gave a presentation to the attendees explaining the IBS and the transition from the International Ballistics Committee. The presentation and other material that may be of interest to members and individuals or organizations considering membership, can be found on the Resources Page.
If you have questions, please contact the Membership Committee Chair.